Monday, May 02, 2005

So what IS my strong suit?

London - May 2, 11:20pm @ Trafalgar Square
I guess I was expecting a culture shock to hit as soon as I got off the plane.

It's as if I was expecting purple skined aliens with three nipples or something. Sure, the building are grander, the prices more expensive, and people talk with accents, but it doesn't really feel all that different from Vancouver. To be fair, that's probably because I haven't really been conversing with the locals; I haven't experienced that dry British wit they are stereotypically known for.

Aside from some problems with the (crazy) phone system, I don't believe that I've done anything differently than how I would have back home. True, it's only the first night. I keep talking to others about how you should not expect change to occur overnight, yet I'm guilty of doing the same. I suppose what I should be preaching is that only expecting change does very little to enact change. If you want the change to happen, you should be proactive about it; meet it head on.

To bad confrontation is not my strong suit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind, that if you confront someone and annoy them, it's not like you ever have to worry about seeing them again.