Saturday, May 14, 2005

In München, Deutschland

Location: München, Deutschland (Munich, Germany)
Local Time: 6:45pm

Finally made it out of Switzerland and into some more sane countries, price-wise. Since my last update, I've been in Zurich, Innsbruck and a few smaller towns and cities in between.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 days, 3 nights

The Canadians are coming!
The Canadians are coming!
Prior to Zurich, I had met and talked with maybe a total of three other Canadians. Once I hit Zurich, I ran into no fewer than twenty. City Backpacker, the hostel I stayed at was Canada overrun with maple leaves. On my last night in town, there were ten Canadians and one girl from Norway crowded around a table in the common room; not exactly the worldly variety I was expecting. Didn't meet anybody from BC, but other than the expectant Torontonians, there was decent representation from across the country: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Quebec, and Nova Scotia. Sorry, no Newfie love in Zurich.

Zurich was a nice place, but nothing that made my jaw drop. Fun city though regardless of night or day.

Loved the free bike rentals that let me bike along Lake Zurich, visit the Lundt chocolate factory, and visit the zoo all in the same day. Then at night there were clubs, bars, lounges, or what I did; just chilled along the lake with a bunch of random new friends, smoking cigars and drinking wine.

Cigars and wine? I'm civilised!

Innsbruck, Austria
2 days, 1 night
Nice small city, figured I'd stop by on my way to Munich... and try to catch a hockey game. But I've lost track of time and was a day too late.

Just missed the World Hockey Championships in town. Apparently there was a Canadian girl who stayed in my room at the Youth Hostel St. Nikolaus just before I got there who was following the team around. Interesting plan... Vienna, here I come! (I wish... I'll be too late by then)

At least now that I'm in a city with decently priced internet, I can find out the game times and try to hit up a bar to watch it live. Although I was able to catch a few of the Swiss games when I was in the country.

Following on the Internet... Canada! Don't blow your 4-0 lead...

WOO! GAME OVER, GOING FOR THE GOLD BABY!

GO CANADA GO!
GO CANADA GO!
GO CANADA GO!

(I have an abnormally strong urge right now to hop on a train to Vienna and try to weasel my way into the Gold medal game.)

No comments: