Monday, May 02, 2005

In London

London - May 2, 7:30PM (London Time)
Air plane ride went well enough. Ran into a little excitement at the end when the pilot had to about his initial landing approach.

"Is something wrong with the plane?"
"Is something wrong at the airport?"

The pilot mumbled some vague reason over the intercom for having to take another approach. Did he just miss his line and decided to try again? Any way to split it, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

At the airport was another matter. It's depressing when the numerical amount of cash you carry gets shrunk by a factor of 2.5 (damn you British pound!). I tried calling Tom, Klaus' London friend, but for some reason it wouldn't let me complete the call (I now believe it's because I kept putting in the country code). I then tried calling directory assistance, and the idiot on the other end didn't help one iota. He uttered one sentence: "Directory Assistance, how may I help you?" That's it. No matter what I said or asked, he wouldn't even grunt to acknowledge that he was still there, although I did hear background noise so I assume he was. I repeatedly asked for help or just a response as I saw my £1.00 dwindle to £0.00 before my very eyes. I don't know if it was the telephone company I was using or what, but as every second ticked, 2 pence would be subtracted from my balance. It was like a ticking time bomb, just mocking my futile efforts. I'm on the express right now heading to Victoria. I figure I'll cruise around town a bit until I try to contact Tom again.

One thing I've notived looking our the train window is how much more "leafy" the trees look and how many building are made of brick. Maybe it's just me, but the leaves look asburdly large and defined. As for the brick buildings, that may be attributed to my route and age of the buildings rather than the architectural style of London.

No comments: