Monday, May 16, 2005

A Day of Loss

Location: München, Deutschland
Local Time: 11:40am

Stayed at the Wombat here in Munchen. Got put in a dorm where it was me and 4 ladies. (SWEET!) Do you think other hostels will group me in similar dorms if I ask nicely? Because women are less likely to snore than a bunch of smelly guys, of course. No other reason...

Location: München, Deutschland
Duration: 2 days, 2 nights, and counting


Yesterday was a field day for the conflict between hope and depression.

I started out heading to Dachau with one of my English-lady dormmates, Kate. For those who don't know, Dachau was the site of the original concentration camp upon which all others were modeled.

We left the hostel at 10am and didn't get back until about 5:30pm. If they weren't closing the site for the night, we would have been there for many hours more. There was just so much to see and learn. We weren't able to go on the guided tour (we should have reserved our spots and THEN go for coffee, not the other way around) but were able to follow along a comprehensive audio guide and the many plaques.

What's left of the camp today is different from what it would have looked like up to 1945, but reading the detailed accounts and memoirs... you can almost see it.

After Dachau I dragged along Kate and another English girl she met at her new dorm (she switched to a cheaper hostel) with me as I searched for the elusive "ARC". The only bar in town I was told would show the Gold medal game for sure (If you have to ask, "what gold medal game" you are not Canadian). Finally found it (it's nice travelling with somebody who studies languages and can talk to the locals fluently) and was excited to get a good hockey fix.

Then the game ended. And I was depressed.

No comments: