Friday, June 02, 2006

Upon closer inspection

Ever listen to a song thinking it's about one subject, only to find out upon closer inspection that it's the complete opposite of what you thought?

Enter: Nothing Better by The Postal Service.

I thought it was a lovey-dovey song.

(Male part:)
"Tell me am I right,
To think that there could be nothing better,
Than making you my bride,
And slowly growing old together."
It's actually a breakup song.
(Female part:)
"Don't you feed me lines
About some idealistic future.
Your heart won't heal right
If you keep tearing out the sutures."
Later in the song:
(Male part:)
"I know that I've made mistakes.
And, I swear I'll never wrong you again."

(Girl part:)
You've got a lure I can't deny
But you've had your chance, So say goodbye.
Say goodbye.
When I realized this, I had the largest grin on my face. I don't know why.
I think I was laughing.

Yeah, I'm a bastard. I know.

Oh the things you discover when stuck in traffic on a Friday morning.

On another note, if you're so inclined, get the Styrofoam remix of Nothing Better off the We Will Become Silhouettes album. Ooh, and the Iron and Wine cover of Such Great Heights is coolio acoustic version of a great Postal Service song as well.

No comments: