Saturday, January 21, 2006

Doodle doodle

So I'm at work and without an assigned project. What do I do? Listen to mind numbing online training modules, (take extended lunches), and doodle.

The majority are non-referenced. A friend said my personal drawing style comes out when I'm free drawing as opposed to the referenced-sketches I've posted before; a simpler and stylized style.

I say it's just me being lazy since I can never picture proper proportions or lighting effects in my head.

And yes, I realize the irony of using an Accenture notepad at work.

Front of sheet:





Note that there are three (3) hotspots on the above picture that you can click on. Clicking on them will open a new window with large closeups of the sketches (really for my benefit more than any of yours).

I started with snowmen, being inspired after viewing a Calvin and Hobbes Snow Art Gallery. On a semi-related note, I love Bill Watterson. Yes, you read right, I would commit sweet man-love all night long if he would just put out some more Calvin and Hobbes strips.

I started with the shaded snowman on the left. Then decided I didn't like it and went for a more simplified approach.

The coffee cup is referenced from the stuff I drink at work. Was never really a big coffee drinker, but free good quality coffee has changed my mind.

Back of Sheet:








Note that there are six (6) hotspots on the above picture that you can click on. Clicking on them will open a new window with large closeups of the sketches (really for my benefit more than any of yours).

No references used here except for the IBM logo.

I'm a little disappointed in how the head of the draconian figure in the bottom right turned out. More dull-witted and less menacing than what I was going for. Although like most of my non-referenced sketches, I had no idea what I was drawing until part way through. It always starts with a couple of randomly drawn lines which I keep building upon until my mind clicks on an image.

updated 1:25am: fixed broken links

No comments: