Friday, February 24, 2006

Book Review: When Heaven and Earth Changed Places


When Heaven and Earth Changed Places: A Vietnamese woman's journey from war to peace.
Author: Le Ly Hayslip


Warning: I tend to drift off topic... as usual.

While the writing style left me wanting - especially after Wayson Choi’s endearingly crafted All That Matters and the entertaining perspective of Style’s The Game - the subject matter and content of Le Ly Hayslip’s Heaven and Earth was quite provocative.

The story recounts Hayslip’s life from peasant village girl to street-wise (or at least, less naïve) urbanite. From loyal Viet Cong beliefs to gradual appreciation for American GI’s, especially compared to the corrupt and amoral Vietnamese bureaucracy.

I had a discussion once with my parents about their distrust of basically everybody, even other Vietnamese people. Actually, ‘especially other Vietnamese people’ and especially when doing business. My father said the Communist government and societal structures not only encourage, but require illicit behaviour if you wish to live well. Really, I just think he thinks every world a person speaks is a lie unless it corresponds to his own thoughts.

Back to the book (kind of), apparently there is a movie rendition of Heaven and Earth directed by Oliver Stone. I watched it back in 1993 when it was released in theatres. I didn’t recall this until after I had finished reading it. Apparently the movie spans both of Hayslip’s autobiographical books (the second being “Child of War, Woman of Peace”) and takes many liberties trying to condense 2 books into 2 hours of film. That probably explains why certain parts seemed eerily familiar as I read through it. At the time, I just thought it was some half-remembered story of my parents that was tickling the back of my mind. The only thing I really remember was a bit part that Tai Thai had in the movie as Jimmy. Apparently it was a big thing that this Vietnamese music star had a 2 second scene in a Hollywood movie. Groan.

So to sum things up? Although I didn't enjoy the book as much as I thought I might (due to a certain somebody's personal recommendation) it's a good read full with insights. Warning: certain parts can get pretty brutal; however, it is never gratuitous.

No comments: