Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Deadlines, schmeadlines.

So I just barely missed the deadline to apply to a Telus leadership development program; it would have been a 36 month internship with part of their management team.

The kicker is that my application was completed well in advance, and the written part was quite well done, if I do say so myself. I had even worked in a couple of quotes on leadership.

"A good leader inspires others with confidence in him; a great leader inspires them with confidence in themselves." -- Unknown

"... the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers." -- Ralph Nader

I'm kind of iffy on the effectiveness of them (especially the Nader quote), but they were great in organising my thoughts on "What leadership means to me".

The only thing I didn't do was click on the "submit" button; I figured I had enough time to go over it all before I submitted it. Then my brother enters the room and starts watching "Moulin Rouge" and "Punch Drunk Love", and naturally I get distracted. Two minutes before the 9pm deadline, I hurriedly rush back to my laptop and click the "submit" button only be confronted by a message stating that I had been timed out of Telus' system due to inactivity. By the time I logged back in and filled out the application, it was too late.

Oh the cacophony of emotions that played inside my head these last few hours!

  • It's Toonie Tuesday (good!)
  • They're out of dark meat (bad)
  • I sweet talked the cashier to acquire some from one of the delivery orders (good!)
  • I missed the Telus deadline (bad)
  • Moulin Rouge is entertaining in a psychotically flamboyant fashion (good!)
  • The Moulin Rouge DVD was scratched and would only play half the movie (bad)
  • The Punch Drunk Love video played perfectly (good/bad... see below)
  • Punch Drunk Love is pretty boring (bad)
I actually didn't mind Punch Drunk Love, but I couldn't concentrate on it; I was too busy lamenting the fact that I ran out of hot sauce for my chicken.

What's this about a job, now?

No comments: